Elk Valley Better at Home Program supports seniors aged 65 and older to age in place with dignity, stay socially connected, and prevent social isolation, especially among seniors who are most vulnerable. The program recognizes that seniors are an important and growing part of communities and helps them with simple day-to-day tasks. Seniors are charged a fee for services on a sliding scale based on income.
Better at Home provides seniors aged 65 and older with assistance for non-medical day-to-day tasks so that they can continue to live independently in their own homes. The cost of services is determined on a sliding scale.
Elk Valley Better at Home Basket of Services
The following services are delivered by volunteers or individuals under contract with Elk Valley Better at Home:
- Friendly visiting
- Grocery shopping and delivery
- Prescription pick-up and delivery
- Transportation to medical appointments, and
- Light snow shoveling
Future development may include light housekeeping, light yard work, and small home repairs.
Transportation & Grocery Shopping:
Volunteers transport clients in the volunteers’ vehicle to do grocery shopping, attend appointments or participate in social activities in the community.
- This service is provided by volunteers and is contingent upon their availability.
- All volunteer drivers are 21+ years of age and hold a valid BC driver’s license with a minimum of 5 years of driving experience, a clean Driver’s Abstract, and appropriate insurance coverage.
- All volunteers must have a clear criminal record check for all programs.
- Vehicles and drivers will not accommodate wheelchairs.
- Clients are responsible for all parking costs.
Better at Home is a province-wide program funded by the Government of BC and managed by the United Way of the Lower Mainland to help seniors with simple day-to-day tasks so that they can continue to live independently in their own homes and remain connected to their respective communities.
The Better at Home program is designed to address the specific needs of local seniors, allowing communities to assess their local strengths, identify gaps in services for seniors, and design Better at Home to enhance local capacities to bridge these non-medical seniors’ support service gaps. Services are delivered by a mix of volunteers, contractors, and paid staff, which depends on the capacity and human resource availability in local communities.
Elk Valley Better at Home (EVBAH) serves the communities in Elkford, Sparwood, Fernie & South Country and is administered by Family Dynamix Association, Invermere, BC.
Elk Valley Better at Home (EVBAH) is seeking Volunteers to support the independence of seniors in the communities around Elkford, Sparwood, Fernie & South Country.
Volunteer Services Include:
- Transportation to Appointments
- Grocery Shopping and Delivery
- Friendly Visits